Sunday, January 6, 2013

Places: Florida Museum of Natural History's Butterfly Rainforest


I have visited many butterfly gardens and my all time favorite is one not too far from our home. It is the Florida Museum of Natural History's Butterfly Rainforest in Gainesville, Florida. We lived in Gainesville for several years while my husband and I worked at the university there. This garden was and still is one of my favorite places. We took a trip up there this weekend...


Entrance to the Butterfly Rainforest

Lush vegetation, water features, koi, turtles, birds, and LOTS of butterflies!

The Butterfly Rainforest has an amazing variety and number (1000) of butterflies!
My little guy "reading" the butterfly and plant identification guide (yes, it is upside down!)

Blue Morpho


Nymph, Tree in Pentas

Nymph, Tree

This one was tough to identify, maybe a Tiger-Mimic, Queen? 

Malachite -one of my favorites!
Butterfly Feeding Station



Beautiful Bromeliads

More Bromeliads


Angel Trumpet

Butterfly releases everyday


You can watch the lepidopterists care for the chrysalises and butterflies in this laboratory.

Families: I saw a sign stating that students who receive an 'A' or 'E' (i'm assuming 'E' means excellent?) grade in science can receive free admission (with the purchase of a paid adult admission). Just show your most recent report card!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs